Tuesday, January 24, 2012

27 & Full of Sugar

Today marks Week 27 - and was also my next month's check-up appointment. Of course, with this month's appointment, it also meant the long and dreadful glucose test. I arrived at the doctor's office first thing this morning, was offered the "Gatorade"-like drink and blood was drawn. This was a lovely, two hour test - which meant I was able to get awfully friendly with those coming and going at the office. I did meet a couple today who had just walked out of their 20-week ultrasound, where they learned they're having a boy...I loved the look on their faces!

Dr. Bell walked me through a few things to look for moving forward - as we're saying "Hello!" to the third trimester! I got an opportunity to hear Gwen's heartbeat, not once but twice - each time racing at 145 bpm. As I was laying on the table, Dr. Bell got to witness her movements - as my belly was bouncing up and down. She "measured" my tummy and her exact words were "Ah, perfect!" She gave me a list of "what to look for" and recommended classes to take at the hospital, specifically the breastfeeding class. She also noted from this point forward, I will be going for check-ups every TWO WEEKS. Talk about a "for real" moment. :)

After my appointment with Dr. Bell, I was back out in the lobby to entertain myself for another hour. Truly, it wasn't that bad - just kind of wish I had a pillow and blanket. At the end of two hours, my blood was drawn again, and I now wait for the results to come by the end of the week. I've stressed mostly over this test above the rest - as Dr. Bell hasn't shied away from explaining the high chances I will gestational diabetes, due to my family history and case of PCOS. In fact, she's almost certain I will. This can be monitored with a strict diet and medication - which I'm comfortable with. I'm more uncomfortable with the chances of future diagnosis.

As for Gwen's developments this week - goodbye fruit, hello...

CAULIFLOWER!

We're in the home stretch for sure! Over the next week, we're wrapping up the final touch-ups of the nursery and preparing for my baby shower in Louisville - so much is happening!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm happy to report you have officially passed the 27w4d mark....which means you're in the clear in my book!! It also means that through my eyes, HOLY COW IT'S GETTING CLOSE!!! (As if you didn't already know that...!)