Monday, October 10, 2011

Non-Horrible Bosses

As of last Friday, it's official - everyone knows! To say I was nervous to tell my bosses was truly an understatement. Not that we would - or can! - change our minds now, but I was more worked up telling Lori and Kristen than really anyone else.

I started working for Buckingham in May - and didn't expect getting pregnant this soon. Heck, we were told IVF was our only way to conceive. With that mindset, we had determined we would - with complete control - decide when we would have a baby. Being a control freak, I actually like this idea...but, now I totally prefer the way it's happened!

I first told Kristen about two weeks ago. I directly report to Kristen, and since starting to work for her - we've clicked completely. Also, having two children herself, I felt much more comfortable telling her first. She was extremely excited - and surprised! She did say she'd have to take about 10 minutes to "freak out" and then she'll be back to normal. :) Ultimately, she's been great support!

I decided not to tell Lori right away - and to be honest, I'm not sure why. I've known Lori since I was 18 - fresh out of high school. She hired me at my first "real" job, mentored me through my college career, and I credit so much to her for where I am with my working career now. So, telling her we're having a baby kinda, sorta scared me.

Of course, I wasn't doing that great of a job hiding it - she had already questioned Kristen if I was pregnant, after staying home on a Monday. Kristen pulled out her best acting skills - and told a small, white lie! :) Last Friday, Lori called me to her office to go over a project she needed - after she was finished, I told her that I had news to share. The look on her face read "I already know". I told her we were expecting in April and, word-for-word, she asked me the following:

"Even if Eric gets the most amazing job...will you promise me you won't leave me?!"

NOT a problem! As weird as it sounds, I'm a huge, HR geek - and love my job. Even if Eric gets the most amazing job, I still will push policies and procedures! :) It felt great to finally tell Lori, someone who has been a part of so many experiences of my adulthood - college graduation, marriage and now our pregnancy.

I totally worked myself up for no reason - because I'm truly blessed to have such wonderful bosses!

No comments: