Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Worth the Wait

Not only is today the beginning of Week 38 - but, Eric and I had our much-anticipated ultrasound and, what is now our last, weekly appointment. At today's visit we not only got one last look at Gwen's squished body and face, but we now have an actual DUE DATE!

It's completely official...next Wednesday, the 18th, we will be welcoming our little girl into our crazy world...and truly, not much of this excitement can be contained. I want so badly for this next week to fly by - even faster than the last nine months.

During today's ultrasound we got a good glimpse at her squished face...including her chubby, little cheeks. The ultrasound tech did mention that her head is measuring on schedule - that really the only thing pushing her off is the size of her tummy. I think Eric and I can both agree that some of the best news given today was being told she has hair on her head! And, not just a strand or two...the tech mentioned it was hanging in front of her face! :) I, being bald as a baby, love the idea of Gwen having hair - it will make her cute brain-squeezers look so darn perfect!

It was also confirmed that will be over 9lbs, which I'm slowly starting to come to terms with. Not that I expect her to come out crawling or potty-trained (if only that were an option!) - but, I also want her to be healthy. Because of her size, we've opted for a c-section delivery. Dr. Bell gave us the choice, but wasn't too confident I would be able to delivery naturally. I specifically asked her if it was strange, as a woman, to question wanting a natural birth at all...as if she's my therapist.

Eric and I had a long conversation about how Gwen would be delivered - and because there's absolutely no progress being made (still not dilated and she still hasn't dropped), the entire process and procedure of a natural birth would span past 24 hours. And, at the "end" - we could potentially have to have an emergency c-section. I've loved being pregnant, and have loved being given the opportunity to carry our child - but never have I been "connected" to having a natural delivery. I don't feel as if my entire being will be unjustified, because I chose not to deliver naturally - but rather as "quickly" as possible to see my baby.

Therefore, now - we wait. We're currently waiting for a call back from the office with our official arrive-at-the-hospital time. All of the planning, scheduling, preparation, check-ups, ultrasounds...it will be worth the wait! :)

No comments: