Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Completely Shut

Today was Gwen's Week 36 check-up. At today's appointment her heart was racing at 154 bpm - staying as consistent as ever. She's measuring "on schedule" - compared to the development we learned of over the last two weeks. Meaning, she's still measuring beyond Week 36 - but not going too far beyond what she was last week.

The biggest difference between today's appointment and the rest was Dr. Bell checked to see if I was dilated or not.

(Side note...I did not expect this part of the exam to hurt as bad as it did...talk about extreme discomfort!)

She not only mentioned that I'm not dilated whatsoever, but that I'm "completely shut" AND Gwen is still "up high". (I added the "up" part, so that you do not confuse our baby with a drug addict.) This really eased my mind and cleared a small bit of going-into-labor-too-soon fear. Of course, Gwen could still come whenever she sees fit - but the chances at this stage are still low.

Our next appointment is next Tuesday - which we will be without Dr. Bell, as she's on vacation. We'll, instead, meet with the Nurse Practitioner - and have the same exam. Today we officially scheduled our Week 38 ultrasound for April 10th. It's amazing to think that in just a few short weeks (at this point, is it okay to say "a few short days"?!) we will have a narrowed down, delivery date. The Control Freak in me loves this - the other side of me just can't believe this is all happening.

Over the last week - I've felt great. Definitely feeling like a beached whale when I sit down - and, I will quote Jessica Simpson with "I feel like I have a bowling ball on my who-ha!" Sleeping has gotten MUCH better - despite getting up every few hours. For a while I was sleeping with a pillow between my knees - helping my back - which, I found wasn't helping what really hurt (my hips). I slept without the pillow last night and was able to sleep through the night with almost no pain. We'll see if the streak goes on...

Gwen is still constantly moving. She specifically seems to show-off for Dr. Bell, and is still extremely active in the morning and at night, after dinner. When she's moving, she turns into my biggest distraction. I absolutely love watching her kick, move and bounce around.

I'm beginning to wrap up items and organize procedures at work. What I first thought was a small list - keeps growing. It does make a girl feel pretty good about everything she manages for a company! This weekend we have just a few last-minute items to pick up, specifically milk-machine (as Angie likes to call it!) accessories. As for the everything else - I think we're as ready and set as we could possibly be.

(I would like to ask tonight, for those who read this Blog, to keep my Papaw in your prayers as we inch closer to Friday. Last week we learned that he has been diagnosed with colon cancer, and will undergo surgery to remove the cancerous spot on Friday. My Papaw has been an absolute guardian and mentor throughout so many moments of my life - I can't imagine the worry he must be feeling, compared to the worry I feel. I know, in a time like this, he turns to God for support and prayer - and I am committed to doing the same.)

1 comment:

Ali said...

You are not kidding about the dilation exam being EXTREMELY uncomfortable/painful. Unfortunately the more I was dilated, it still hurt just the same :( I thought, "Okay, surely this will start to hurt less." Nope. Ugh. Not fun! Congrats on the news!