Thursday, December 1, 2011

Believe in the Chinese

I was drawn towards the Chinese when a friend of mine was expecting her second baby. And, then anytime I knew someone was pregnant. No, not because of wontons or egg rolls, but because of their unbelievable way to predict the gender of one's baby!

For so many women I've been around - the Chinese never seem to fail. Therefore, naturally, when Eric and I began planning to extend our family - I immediately reached out to the Chinese. We've both always wanted a girl first. Granted, we really always wanted a baby first - but if we had a choice, we'd prefer having a Little Emily before a Little Eric.

When we first started trying for a baby - it seemed to work itself out...the months that "something" signaled ovulation (which my body was struggling to do on her own) - it was right with the Chinese! But, then it stopped - both the Chinese trend of months and ovulation completely.

Jump to July 2011 - when our prayer was answered, and my girly parts listened! Almost immediately after our pregnancy was confirmed, I leaned on the Chinese for some suggestions...

TheBump
The Chinese Gender Chart above is the one I use frequently. This chart takes the month of conception (July) and the age of the mother at conception (25). Found our match! Often when I have people tell me I'm wrong - I direct them to this site...Angie and Ali...and they soon find out the reason to my madness.


BabyCenter
(Unfortunately, the entire chart from BabyCenter is far too large for this page, but I've included our results!) BabyCenter, like TheBump, I use often for answers about symptoms and weekly updates. Similarly to TheBump, this chart tracks the age of the mother, but calculates the month of conception for you (based on the baby's due date). Never a wrong answer here - reason for source #2!


Lunar Age Gender Chart

This chart is one that takes a few more steps to complete. First, you have to calculate the mother's lunar age. For me - and the month of July - I am 27 years old, in the 6th lunar month. Not really my favorite site to use (the extra step always delays for immediate responses!) - but, like our case, never fails.

You can call them myths - or choose not to believe. But, the Chinese don't lie...and, I for one could not be happier with their prediction every time! Who doesn't believe me now?!

3 comments:

Ali said...

I believe you, but it makes me want to have like 15 kids and test it out each time! :)

Caroline said...

Hey Emily--

Amanda just told me about your blog the other day. It's been amazing to read back over your reflects from the past several weeks. I hope you and Eric are both doing well!

Love,
Caroline

Anonymous said...

You know, all you had to say was this, "Take the age of the mother when she got pregnant. Add the month she is due. Add 1. Even numbers are girls, odds are boys." Would have been so much simplier!!! JUST SAYING...:)