Friday, September 23, 2011

Sharing the News

For some reason I always imagined us being extremely prepared when it came to sharing THE news. And, for many of you, I'm sure your chair has fallen out from under you as you think, "Did the Emily I know just say that?!" Believe it - we had creative ideas, but in the end, it just felt better to say it, than act it.

We did at least pick which week we were going to share the news. After confirming with the doctor that I am, in fact, cooking a bean in my tummy - we took a trip to Memphis for a family wedding. My Uncle Hal will tell you he "knew" it that weekend, but I think he just likes to show off. I did my best to hide it, but of course the baby topic of conversation didn't stop Ryan from guessing it. He had strict, and I mean s-t-r-i-c-t, rules not to say a word. The following Saturday we were headed up north for our nephew's birthday party - perfect time to see and tell Betsy and Bob. And, on Sunday we made plans for lunch out with my parents.

Eric couldn't attend the party-part of the night, as he had to work that afternoon - but he did make the special trip up, knowing we had some exciting news to share. The Davis side of our family has never been shy expressing their desire for a Little Emily or Eric. And, the comments were in high-force this afternoon! To play along - I remember saying, "Before anyone else has another baby...can WE have on first?!" All in joking fun, and little did they really know! After Daniel and his friends ran through his slip-'n-slide countless times, opened his gifts and we all ate far too much Toy Story birthday cake - Eric arrived just in time and within minutes of him walking in the door - we were ready to share the news. Hearing Eric say, "Well...we're having a baby!" was pretty cool - and seeing their reaction was priceless. It felt great to be surrounded by the people who had prayed with us, and for us!

Sunday afternoon my parents met us at our house for lunch and a little shopping. Before we left, with Dad sitting in the arm-chair and Mom standing in the kitchen, I looked at them both and said, "Before we leave - we have news." Mom blurted out, "You're pregnant!" Mother's intuition, I suppose. :) Their reactions the days following were far better than the day of - with Mom's almost-giving-it-away Facebook status and Dad's sweet email to me at work. Since that Sunday, it's non-stop baby talk from the soon-to-be Nana and Papaw!

We did have to fib just a little that day. Unbeknownst to Mom, we were planning a surprise 50th birthday party for her in September. So, that Sunday I told her that we wanted to wait to tell the rest of the world until October - when we're heading down to Lexington to watch a UK football game. Apparently, she had dropped hints to her sisters that she thought it would be a good idea if they came into town that same weekend - you know, to "finish painting" Mamaw and Papaw's house - why, of course!

But, the Friday before her party - there were all of her sisters, and most importantly my Mamaw and Papaw at my house, hiding out. The night before I made a gift for Nana from Baby, and thought it would be a great way to tell the family.


I made the onesies (one for a girl and one for a boy!) and placed them in a box. Before we all left for lunch that Friday afternoon, Mamaw and Papaw were standing in our kitchen. I asked them if they'd like to see what I made Mom for her birthday - and when I opened the box, Mamaw looked right at me and said, "You're having a baby!" That night, Papaw said a special prayer for Baby - something that still makes me cry.

The next afternoon, we shared the news with both Mom's side of the family and Dad's side of the family - as they were there to celebrate for more than just Mom's birthday! Come to find out - Mom couldn't keep her mouth shut...she told her neighbor AND two co-workers!

And, then we shared with the entire "world"...


We've come to learn, it's not about how you tell the news...but, about WHAT the news is! :)

No comments: